Built in 1545, Hacienda San Nicolás was one of the largest haciendas in México, with vast areas of farm land under its control and exports of olive oil to the King of Spain. Built by the Augustinian monks, it is an imposing edifice in the centre of the village of San Nicolás de los Agustinos. Walls are immensely thick composites of adobe, stone, mortar and concrete. There are two main floors, with columns and arches finished in cantera and tezontle.
Recently cleaned and restored, many of its original stone doorways have been reopened. Ceilings are typically 5 meters high, with wood and concrete beams supporting a tile and concrete roof. There are 12 suites, with a total of 14 bedrooms. Night accommodations are for up to 30 guests. Events, such as weddings and celebrations can hold up to 200 people.